Unsure how to start the conversation? Try one of these open-ended questions or phrases to normalize the discussion and invite your patients to open up about any concerns and/or use one of the validated screening tools in the Clinical Resources section below.
- It is part of my routine to ask about sexual health as part of the well-woman visit. Tell me about any sexual concerns/problems/issues you may be having.
- How do you think this sexual problem may be affecting your relationship or your life in general?
- What distresses you the most about this sexual problem?
- What techniques have you tried to manage the problem so far?
- Do you have any medical conditions that affect your quality of life, including your sexual health?
- What would a successful resolution of your sexual problem(s) look like?
- Tell me about the conversations you have had with your partner so far about this problem.